This is perfect for founding colonies that are not quite ready to move into a nest but need the extra space for feedings and cleanliness. Having a round outworld minimizes wasted space and the test tube provides a sustainable watering system.
- Mini Round House – the Outworld – a 2×2 cylindrical container with a layer of gypsum cement and a mesh breathing hole in the lid
- A 20mm test tube that plugs into a port on the Mini Round House
The ants get their water from the test tube.
What’s a “Tub and Tubes Setup”?
- It’s a test tube and an outworld, used by entomologists and ant keepers who raise ant colonies.
Can I use my own test tube?
- If it’s 20mm in diameter you can see if it will fit. The tube we provide fits very snugly into the port.
What do I put into the test tube?
- Cotton stuffed into water which creates a humid environment for the ants. We recommend researching “test tube setup” to see a video on how to make one.
How do I get my colony to move in?
- We prefer the tap-tap and dump method of introducing the ants to their new home. They will quickly discover the attached test tube and will move in when they are ready.
How do I apply heat?
- We recommend placing a heat cable over the tube.