This ant colony kit including a Pogonomyrmex occidentalis Queen has beginning ant keepers in mind. These ants are very easy to keep. You will be provided with all the essentials needed to care for your ants for about a year, including food! It is not required but if you choose to offer extra food in the form of insect protein (cricket legs, mealworm pieces), it should not exceed 30% of their diet. These are harvester ants and they can do just fine with seeds and nectar alone. Caution: These ants can sting, so handle with care.
Live Queen Arrival Policy
As long as you at least choose Priority Mail shipping, and you also follow the live arrival requirements, your colony will be replaced if the queen dies during transport.
Included with all shipments is a free insulated box.
Included in the Ant Colony Kit:
- Pogonomyrmex occidentalis colony with queen, at least 5 workers, and in-progress brood including eggs, larvae, and pupae.
- Harvester Ant Seed Mix – bluegrass, dandelion, and dropseed
- Extra bag of bluegrass seeds
- Sunburst Ant Nectar, 60ml
- Tub and Tubes Outworld. Test tube attaches to the outworld when the colony is too hard to feed in the test tube due to the number of workers trying to escape.
- Liquid Feeders (2ml) for the outworld. One for water and the other for Sunburst.
- Extra test tubes (4) for replacing dried-up tubes (they always need water in the test tube)
- Test Tube Privacy Screen to shield the colony from light
- Test Tube Feeding Caps for placing a drop of sunburst and inserting into the test tube (2)
- Entomology forceps for handling ants as well as removing seed husks from the end of the tube.
- Test Tube Transfer Cap with tubing to connect the test tube to the outworld
- Fluon Escape Prevention liquid to smear on 1/4″ top portion of the inside of the outworld. This forms a barrier to eliminate escapees climbing out of the container when you open the lid. See product page for application instructions.
Not Included but Highly Recommended
- Heating Cable – these ants love heat. Make sure there isn’t condensation in the test tube which can happen if too much of the cable is touching the tube. Lay the cable flat and lay the test tube on top of it. Avoid placing the water portion of the test tube on top of the cable.